Saturday, February 9, 2008

Earthquake Feb 7 1:12 am

Awoken in the night from a pretty sound sleep, I couldn't figure out why the bed was moving slightly. My thoughts: weird dream? A few seconds later the bed giggled, and I looked at the clock, almost 1:15am, I know Stephen's still at work. Then it happened a third time.

I was super confused and in disbelief that an earthquake had awoken me. It was like someone had shook the bed, but for an extended period. My state of sleep didn't help either - it was solid sleep mode for me and you know that when you awake from that nothing makes sense.

So in the morning I checked it out - thank you USGS for the reality check. (yeah, click on reality check and it'll show you the USGS page - I just learned how to link).

A 4.8! Just 14.9 miles down, about 120 miles away! How cool! If you look at the local map of the quake, we live one village north of Hagatna.

Okay, so nothing broke, which is good, just the shaking. Of the people we know here (that I've had a chance to check with), the only other one on island at the time slept right through it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

reminds me of the good old days in califorinia... we'd get a 5.0 every year or so, they're not too bad as there is no damage, just scare the crap out of you... lets just hope they don't get any bigger...

Unknown said...

I have an image in my mind of Katrina playing her Ukelale (sp?) as buildings fall down around her and an earthquake swallows the island into the ocean.

Better keep practicing K. The whole scene will be ruined if your Uke skills are weak.