Friday, August 1, 2008

Making Mango Jam

Success! Making this mango jam was so easy and "sooooo gooooooood" to eat.

So this little island of ours does not provide the normal access to products I'd normally use in the states to make jam (pectin, canning jars, wax), but I found a bunch of simple recipes for mango jam that didn't need pectin and gave it a whirl. Not the ideal project for a condo with the A/C just coming back on - but if you're going to be sweaty, you might as well get some jam out of it.

The basic recipe was: two mangoes, chopped up and boiled in a cup of water to get them softer (medium heat). then off the heat to use the potato masher (no food processor with us or pastry blade) to mush them up to the consistency we like (sort of chunky, you can mash more if you like). Return to medium heat and add about a cup and a half of sugar, dissolve and bring to rolling boil. I think that's when I added the juice of one lemon (no pectin products on island so I read you can use lemon juice to help it "jam" up). Then boil and stir until it's jammy. Also couldn't find any wax on island, so the jars will be living in the refrigerator for their short lives. I did sterilize the jars in boiling water just to make sure nothing starts growing from the bottom up :)

The 1/3 full jar is almost gone with just our breakfast this morning - so I'll assume that SJW likes the mango jam. I'm sure this is going to be a repeater.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm Matt's mom, Blythe, and I want to thank you for posting that mango jam recipe. My husband and I love mangoes and I can't find any mango jam here in rural Alabama. Even so, 'fresh' jam tastes better anyway.

I've also enjoyed reading your other postings, too esp about the fishing trip and triathalon race.