Friday, January 11, 2008

Brand Spanking New

Well, we're here. Still a bit jet lagged and finally getting settled. This will be the place for any of our South Pacific updates instead of the mass-emails we've sent. We'll still email with people, but the Blog will make it so you can check to see what we're up to, where we've gone and are going a bit easier.
So far......to recap.
We got here Friday Jan 4th really late at night. First Class to Tokyo, then down to Guam. Lots of great food internationally on the Boeing 777. Watched some movies and the 14hr flight to tokyo flew by. The 4hr flight reminded me how much traveling stinks. Middle seat, way back in the plane with nobody who speaks our language. A stupid kid actually pulled my hair. I can't even pull my hair. Too short and not enough to grab onto.

Anyways, Hilton Resort and Spa in Guam is where my company puts us up. Sweet digs. Nice balcony, great beaches and pools. Maybe the nicest hotel I ever stayed in. We actually thought about living here for the year. But more on that later....
I worked the first couple days. Work is fun. Not really like work. I went to Manilla, Chuuk, Saipan. Then I have 18 days off before I go to Honolulu for a day of relaxation. Not so tough.

We've spent the first 8 days looking at condos, cars, and scuba classes. I start scuba Monday. We sign for our Condo today and we bought a car yesterday. Oh yeah, I got a Guam driver's license. Not a bad picture considering what they had to work with. The condo is SWEET. One bedroom condo right on the beach, just outside downtown Tumon (where all the night life is), new appliances and has just been totally remodeled. The car is a mint Honda Civic with 56K miles on it. We got it dirt cheap. It's probably stolen and shipped here from somewhere else. Just kidding. But at the same time not so sure......

Car insurance....$165. For the Year. With upgraded liability limits. I laughed when the agent told me. I thought she quoted us per month.

The snorkeling and beaches around Guam are pristine. The surfing is alright if you don't mind paddling out past the coral reef around the island. It's about 200 feet or more out there. I get tired just thinking about it.

We've already met the Guam version of our friends out here. (There's even the guam version of our Vinny....except not quite as cool). Lots of great people. I dropped the first few real estate agents we worked with because they were too nice. It irritated me. Seriously. That part wasn't a joke. I just couldn't handle it. The people out here are so nice that it takes some getting used to. I think they like being nice and actually don't want anything from you, nor are they trying to sell you something. It's like the 1950s.

If you haven't checked out our first batch of photos, here's the link. We'll update the blog as more pictures go up. www.flickr.com/photos/stephenandkatrinaweaver

That's all from 15 hours in the future for now. PS-the sun rises today. We just saw it a couple hours ago...

No comments: