Friday, March 7, 2008

Free Uke Lesson

Today I had the free uke lesson that came with purchasing the coolest instrument in the world.

It was a group of six adults and one teenager (there with his dad), and a bubbly female instructor, Maureen. She's a member of a pretty popular local family uke trio (I think her brother works at the Uke Hut too - because he's in the promo posters for the band with her).

It was pretty simple stuff, and I probably had the strongest music background, so I felt confident in what we were doing. The hardest thing right now is the uber cool strumming you hear in uke songs...for me that's the hardest because it's the most relaxed part. Everyone else was struggling to find the right notes (you know, the structured part) - but got the strumming. None of it mattered because with 7 new instruments they all were tuned at the beginning but quickly found that sour sound you expect from beginners.

Thus the tuner I just purchased and the now in-tune uke on the couch. All the strings were more than a half note off by the end of the lesson - for those music geeks out there who are now appreciating the sound of seven of these things out of tune but trying to play together. It was very Martin School Orchestra first rehearsal sounding.

Anyhow, I'm going to go try some more songs. Rock on!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear you play me some tunes! Thanks for the birthday card, it brought a big smile to my face.